Tuesday, August 27, 2013

You're Next


You're Next
(2011)

Yes, 2011.  This was actually made in 2011, and bounced around the film festival circuit for quite sometime.  Probably, as usually happens with great horror films, there were some issues with the release through Lionsgate.  Lionsgate is NOTORIOUS for that kind of shit, and I hate it.

I was hoping this film would've made #1 its opening weekend...but it didn't even breach the top 5, ending up at a sad #6, despite the intense marketing viral campaign attempted in the weeks leading up to its release.  I have lost faith in film audiences everywhere.  Who, instead of supporting a great film and spending their money wisely, chose to go see Oprah's new "black people are awesome and don't you forget it" film.  Tisk tisk.

I really enjoyed You're Next.  It was great.  A great friend of mine, who also reviews movies...told me he gave it a 10/10 prior to me seeing it.  I was fairly impressed by this, because he usually is very hostile towards horror movies with his reviews.  10/10?  Maybe.  I'd definitely give it 9/10.  

If you liked the STRANGERS, and FUNNY GAMES - then you will fucking ADORE this film.  If not, you might still enjoy it.  

A family gathers for their parent's anniversary...in the middle of the middle of nowhere.  They are attacked by masked maniacs.  There are some awesome kills.  An unlikely hero emerges, and somewhat saves the day.  There are several twists involved, but you don't have to pay attention too closely to catch them.  Some you can probably see coming.  My favorite part of the film IS the opening, but that doesn't mean the rest isn't worth watching.

Highlights?  A.J. Bowen (the Signal, A Horrible Way to Die, House of the Devil) is always perfect.  He has been one of my favorite actors ever since seeing the Signal...which if you haven't seen...leave me alone...go watch it...then we can be friends again.

I would definitely say go see this film.  It's enjoyable, and for a horror movie...it's done completely right.

No comments:

Post a Comment