Friday, August 23, 2013

Dog Pound


Dog Pound (2012)
Directed by: Kim Chapiron  Starring:  Adam Butcher, Shane Kippel and Mateo Morales 

I spent the night at a friends house, and late that night I was surfing Netflix trying to find something to put me back to sleep.  Usually, I go straight to a Friday 13th film for this, because I am so familiarized with those that I don't have to pay close attention to follow along.

I ended up selecting this, reading the description, and was immediately sold.

It takes place in a youth detention center.  It starts with a small set of backstories about the 3 main characters Butch, Davis and Angel.  All 3 are sent to the same detention center.  Throughout the film, you get character building on a few of the guards that you start to care about....just a little bit.  In my opinion, Butch is the best.  Let me tell you...when this guy gets pissed...his face.  DAMN!  If someone was angry and staring me down the way Butch does in this film, I would run away screaming for my mother.  He sells it...big time.

You follow the 3 through several scenarios in the detention center...some funny...some violent...some downright disturbing.  I myself have never been to a youth detention center.  If this movie is a accurate portrayal of one, then I thank God I never had to.  The movie sets Butch as a silent guardian of the other 2.  He kind of indirectly protects them.  Yet, bad luck befalls them all.

Some things happen that you are praying to happen.  Some things happen that you are praying won't happen.  And some things happen that you just don't see coming.  SPOILER and CAUTION!: there IS a rape scene.

If you are a fan of movies with happy endings that leave you smiling and ready to take on the world...at some point, I probably WILL review PLANES or whatever movie PIXAR puts out next.  Avoid this one, and go watch some Family channel.  DOG POUND is NOT that type of movie.  The ending inspired in me a much too loud "WHAT THE FUCK!" for someone sitting at a friend's house filled with sleeping folks, and a 1 1/2 year old child at 5:00 a.m.

This is the first film I have seen by Kim Chapiron, but I was very impressed and look forward to watching more of his work.

Check this film out.  I have a feeling that if you are a close friend of mine, you will LOVE it.


No comments:

Post a Comment