Friday, August 30, 2013

April Showers


APRIL SHOWERS
(2009)
Directed by:  Andrew Robinson
Starring:  Kelly Blatz, Anna Adams, Tom Arnold, Daryl Sabara

I came across this movie on Netflix last night, while sitting at my friend's house bored to death.  Sometimes I make a horrible choice...giving up quickly, and heading outside for a cigarette and whatever else my mind requires to be captivated.  But once in a while...just once in a while, I come across a great film.  It happened a few weeks ago when I stumbled upon DOG POUND, which I previously reviewed.  Then last night, April Showers popped up.

Yes, this film is based on an actual school shooting, as told by survivors.  It's not very bloody, like most of the films I send your way.  It tugs more at your emotions than at your gore-craving minds.  You see the tragedy from the student's and the teacher's points of view.  In a surprisingly serious and touching role, Tom Arnold plays a teacher who helps save the lives of many students, sadly before losing his own.

There is a love story at the middle of this film.  April and Sean.  In love and separated by tragedy.  I will not give away the whole story, that's for you to discover on your own.  It's not terribly original, but what school shooting is?  I do really enjoy the whole "kids dealing with the fact that they were friends with the shooter" aspect the film has as well.  ELEPHANT and other films about this subject don't touch that side of the story as well as April Flowers.

It's sad and moving.  It keeps your interest.  If you're reading this then you've got nothing better to do, so watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment